> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:42:55PM -0500, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
>
> > only as originally intended for unix systems. Further, variable
> > content partitions such as /var and /home should be large enough to
> > allow for ssd wear levelling, or you will toss away expensive ssds
> > like autumn leaves. Finally, all games should be moved from the

I keep hearing about longevity issues with flash based storage. It seems
this paranoia just won't die.

I'm coming up to 13 years of installing OpenBSD onto flash based storage
and I've not had a failure yet.  Only ever used softdep and noatime.
Installed into Sun Ultra's with IDE-CD adaptors, Soekris 5501 and 6501,
ALIX 2's and 3's and now also running off thumb drives in these sweet
little EdgeRouter LITE's.  Always stuck to SanDisk and Lexar.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=113148165022620&w=2

I had one 2.5" Corsair SSD fail outside of OpenBSD usage, but it was a
sudden death and well within the infant mortality stage of the bathtub
curve.

And on a note related to SSD longevity, I've run Samsung SSD's in my
Sony PS4 and PS4 Pro since both were released and they both constantly
write video capture data to "disk" while on and this is a feature I
cannot switch off.  They're both still working fine too.  My PS4 would
have hammered that SSD for hours most days for about 4 years.

Shane