"Ingo Schwarze" <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
> I'm absolutely uninterested in test results.

I understand that many times the designer of a web site may
have different priorities than I do.

Nevertheless, when a site performs poorly I can only:
- close the tab and open another site
- try to persuade the designer to modify the site
- report the site to the browser vendor, hoping they'll add it
  to the quirks list
- use browser extensions such as Adblock to rewrite the site
- make a wrapper app for the site

Most content on http://www.openbsd.org renders just fine and
some pages even use the particular tag. There is no need for
sites to perform poorly on small screen devices.

> I stick to (reasonably established) standards, and it's the job
> of browsers to implement them.

In the case of "viewport"; Apple, Mozilla, Google, Microsoft
and Opera all happen to do it the same way. Isn't that a
"reasonably established" web industry standard?

BTW, Safari and Opera on iOS 4.2.1 also support the tag and are
helped by it. Same goes for IE on Windows Phone 8.1.

Furthermore, some "validators" have no issue with the tag:

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fviewports.github.io%2Fman%2Fafterboot
https://html5.validator.nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fviewports.github.io%2Fman%2Fafterboot

https://checker.html5.org/?useragent=Validator.nu%2FLV&acceptlanguage=&doc=https%3A%2F%2Fviewports.github.io%2Fman%2Fafterboot

> ... If a browser failes to implement
> a standard that has been in force for a long time, that's a bug
> in the browser and not my problem

> ... You also fail to state whether you have any
> idea what the root cause of the unstated problem might be.
> For example, is it somehow related to the CSS rule
>
>   html { max-width: 100ex; } ?

I think it boils down to the site being optimized for common
PC screen sizes, causing problems on "phone" devices as they
have much smaller screens. If so, the bug is not in all (?)
mobile browsers but in the website. I'm assuming that W3C,
WHATWG and whatever do not mandate sites to be optimized for
common PC screen sizes only.

If I understand the "viewport" tag correctly, it basically
says that it is OK to let the viewable content fill the screen.

Of course, there are other possible fixes, however the ones I
can think of are far more complex.