On Thu, 17 May 2018 18:32:44 -0400
Aner Perez <a...@ncstech.com> wrote:
> First non-comment line of mandoc.css says:
>
> html {                max-width: 100ex; }
>
> Removing this line allows the use of the full browser width.  I'm
> sure that it was put there for a reason (maybe to approximate the
> width of a terminal?).

Some browsers simply don't calculate lengths expressed in exes correctly
-- seen that in many other contexts. Last time I checked (about 3 years
ago, so it might well have changed since), two of the four most common
browsers still exhibited that fault.

As a quick experiment, try looking up the metrics of the font your
browser actually uses to render man pages, then convert 100ex into ems
for your font and put the result in the max-width attribute in your
local copy of mandoc.css.

If that fixes your width issue then you'll have clear evidence that the
bug lies in the browser (specifically in its routine for converting
exes to whatever its native display length unit is).