On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 22:58, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2019-04-26, Igor Podlesny <open...@poige.ru> wrote:
> > Or would kernel's recompiling be needed anyways?
[...]
> Recompiling would be needed.
>
> If you want to try it, see faq 5 about fetching the source tree,
> add "ichwdt* at pci?" to /sys/arch/amd64/conf/GENERIC. then see faq 5
> about building a kernel.

Thanks for confirmation and brief how-to even. I'd like to clarify the matter in
more general ways though.

1) Is it true that more or less fresh OpenBSD generic kernels come with
no support of any watchdog hw?

2) I heard that kernel modules were intentionally rid of in OpenBSD
primarily due
security concerns -- did it really happen for that reason? If so, and
I assume that
happened long ago, were there any developer's opinions to undo this? Actually
even not taking crypto verification approach (modules signing) one
could always have
secure level increased high enough to cut down this vector of attacks
completely.
OTOH, it's well known that dynamic loading approach greatly expands
functionality of
OS and makes it more convenient to use.

--
End of message. Next message?