On 28/2/20 11:32 pm, Justin Noor wrote:
> Thanks for offering to help and sorry for the delay - I got dragged into a
> work emergency. I finally managed to SCP my dmesg to a remote machine.

Heh, no problems, these things happen.

> As a refresher I have a 6.6 current machine that crashes when X is running,
> and almost instantly when Firefox is running - it runs fine without X. The
> machine becomes totally frozen - I have to perform a forced shutdown to
> exit this state. The issue appears to be graphics related and is
> inconsistent - sometimes it crashes immediately, other times it does not.

Sometimes it might be the way a particular graphics toolkit "tickles"
the video hardware too.  For instance FVWM uses libxcb for drawing
graphics which means you're likely to be just working with 2D primitives.

Then Firefox with its GTK+ back-end fires off a few RENDER extension
requests to the X server and whoopsie!  Down she goes!

> There are indeed some "unknown product" messages related to my PCI graphics
> card in my dmesg, but I haven't been able to decipher them yet. Those
> usually mean the device is not supported, but it is, and I'm sure I have
> the correct driver (amdgpu0). Previously I had no issues for months, which
> is why I suspected hardware failure. Admittedly I've been lucky with
> graphics cards over the years, and don't know much about PCI.

No issues for months running a previous version of OpenBSD or the same
you're running now?

One suggestion I made too was to maybe try setting up a serial console
link… turns out the motherboard makers know how to tease:

> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com0: probed fifo depth: 0 bytes

That says there is a RS-232 port somewhere… so I had a look at the handbook:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450-I_GAMING/E14337_ROG_STRIX_B450-I_GAMING_UM_PRINT.pdf

They didn't wire it up to a pin header, which is annoying.

On the video front, I did see this:
> initializing kernel modesetting (POLARIS11 0x1002:0x67EF 0x1002:0x0B04
> 0xE5).
> amdgpu_irq_add_domain: stub
> amdgpu_device_resize_fb_bar: stub
> amdgpu: [powerplay] Failed to retrieve minimum clocks.
> amdgpu0: 1360x768, 32bpp
> wsdisplay0 at amdgpu0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)

The "stub" messages make me wonder if we're hitting some
not-yet-implemented features.  That "failed to retrieve minimum clocks"
has been seen on Linux as well, and there it was related to PCI prefetch
register programming.

The machine you've got isn't much different to what I have at work
actually: Rysen 7 1700 (so previous generation), and a RX550 video card
(POLARIS12, maybe slightly newer?)… the machine is fitted with a RS-232
serial port so I might try a little experiment with a USB stick and see
if I can install OpenBSD 6.6 to USB storage and try to reproduce the crash.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.