Rather, I'm looking for a full separation between the users,
nothing shared but the obsd kernel and hardware, and no more overhead for
each one than X normally has, since each user is just running
flat normal X, but fully and independently of the other X user.  Am I
mistaken in how I understand Xnest and Xephyr?

Right, I think the vnc / Xnest / Xephyr suggestions assume you've got one "main" user accessing the sessions that belong to the other users.

I don't really know enough to comment on how much any of this helps with security.

--
James