I have not found it to be an issue with the number of tabs being
open, but rather anything that spikes the processor causing these
interruptions. Oddly, even on my 8 core box, just having 1 or 2
cores spiking to 100% (which FF does on demanding sites) causes
these interruptions the most. I have also simply had firefox idling
with one tab open on the new tab page causing these interruptions
sometimes even. I have a buddy using Arch Linux and said even now
with newer versions of ff he's been having some strange behavior
too.