On 6/1/22 4:34 PM, Courtney wrote:
I have not found it to be an issue with the number of tabs being
open, but rather anything that spikes the processor causing these
interruptions. Oddly, even on my 8 core box, just having 1 or 2
cores spiking to 100% (which FF does on demanding sites) causes
these interruptions the most. I have also simply had firefox idling
with one tab open on the new tab page causing these interruptions
sometimes even. I have a buddy using Arch Linux and said even now
with newer versions of ff he's been having some strange behavior
too.

When audio stutters on my machines I can hear the disk drive rattling.
All machines have at least 4 CPUs and sufficient memory.

Adding nice(1) to the program playing helps but
doesn't eliminate the problem.
When sndiod gets in the way things are worse.
Adding nice to it helps but again doesn't eliminate the problem.

Moving the mouse on a slower system causes stuttering.
I haven't paid attention when X isn't running.

Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird etc. constantly execute syscalls
and very frequently do disk I/O.

I -suspect- that some lock blocks the CPU playing the audio
when other programs execute syscalls.
dt/bt probably could test this but I haven't studied them yet
nor have I studied kernel locking in any detail (big and subtle area).

I have also seen pretty certain disk I/O delays when audio is
playing and other programs compete.
The BSDs have CPU priority scheduling.
I don't think any have I/O priority scheduling.
That problem isn't simple.

Ubuntu linux successfully runs mixxx which plays & records
multichannel audio in real time with no stutteron a 1.6 GHz Celeron.
even through [adjectives deleted] pulseaudio.
This is while OBS Studio is webcasting USB video.
Keystroke/mouseclick to audio start/stop is always well under 100ms,
probably 30 ms or less

Getting that to work probably requires significant
twisty kernel & program optimization.

Geoff Steckel