On 2023-02-14, Daniele B. <my2...@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what are your thoughs on the subject of PHP different versions,
> in respect to OpenBSD lifecycle. And, indeed, what is going to happen in
> OpenBSD facing this broken compatibility with the past, starting from 8.1.
> Are you going to support PHP 7.4 and 8.0 longer or what?

We don't have resources to maintain security fixes for EoL'd PHP
versions beyond what PHP themselves provide
(https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php).

Current status:

7.4 is no longer getting security fixes. It's kept around for
now because some other ports are using it but I'll probably
be looking at removing it from ports soon. (You can of course
build yourself from source even if it's removed from ports).

8.0 security fixes will stop partway through the OpenBSD 7.3
-stable timeframe (Nov 2023). This is the last version that
will run on OpenBSD/sparc64 unless someone writes code to
support Fibers on the architecture (or we get ucontext
support but that is not very likely).

8.1 is due to have security fixes until Nov 2024 and most
actively maintained PHP projects seem to be working with this
by now.

8.2 has longer support but compatibility is more of a problem,
even some fairly active big projects haven't adapted yet.

> Worrysome this stuff from my side.. I personally have "tons" of  webapps to
> mantain and there is not a "Docker solution".
> Is it plausible to come to arrange a "sustainable solution" by the ports,
> chroot or whatever?

This is how the web development stack you have chosen works. There are
others which have better backwards compatibility than PHP.

If you aren't able to keep on top of changes to the PHP language in
your code but do want some backports of fixes, you might be better
off with Debian and repos at https://www.freexian.com/lts/php/ or
https://deb.sury.org/.