Hello
I found that RRDCached helps with the gaps in the graphs...  (write
i/o burst smoothing)  (which is the main reason I went with rrdcached

but it did not help so much  on the user interface / web rendering  front ...
 (perhaps I could try (if it is even possible)  to try the following

write rrds using   smokeping --> rrdcached-->rrdfile
and separately read
rrdfile --> smokeping_fcgi --> httpd
or does rrdcahced need to exclusively manage I/O ( read and write)
with the rrd files. ?
Ill investgate this a bit more ... (comments and ideas welcome ..

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.