On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:14:23PM +0100, Luca Losio wrote:
>  I used to have one of these.
> >
> > On your external NIC, use DHCP, and that is it.
> >
> > The DLink does the PPPoA stuff and issues the WAN IP address to your
> > DHCP card.
> >
> > You can still telnet to the DLink on 192.168.0.1 at the same time as
> > your link being up.
> >

> mmm...I tried switching off dhcp server on the modem, issued a
> dhcpclient xl1 but I can't get a dhcp response....

Leave the DHCP server enabled on the DLink, and enable your NIC via
DHCP. Job done.

Unplug the phone line and reboot the router, your NIC will get a
192.168.0.2 address, plug the phone line in and it will get issued the
public WAN IP from the router.

The router was designed for Windoze users, and they wouldn't mess about
with static setups.

I now use a ZyXEL and have my ISP allocate a routeable LAN, which is
better, but not doable with the DLink model that you have.