On 4.5.2024 21:20, Manfred Koch wrote:
Hi,

There is no problems with performance, only tested the settings,
nevertheless I will
undo the changes to the default .
I appreciate your recommendations.
By the way the website
https://www.nechtan.io/articles/openbsd_minimalist_desktop.html
comes with the desktop suggestion.

There is the first problem for you. It's article about version 7.1.
That is more then 2 years ago, is not supported anymore and there
were a LOT of changes. Including quite specific one like disabling
of Soft updates for filesystems.

Second problem is that he does not explain why he changed some
values in sysctl or login.conf and why he picked the values he
used. That is important to know and even man page can't help
you in that unless you know internals of Unix-like systems very
well and you know what you are looking for.

eg.datasize-cur is for new installations automatically set your
RAM size for staff (not to its half) , maxproc limits are for my
new installation as well automatically double of what is in that
article. openfiles is very questionable, did you measure with
fstat(1) how many of them do you have when you run Firefox or Chrome
or did you have any errors in logs regarding exhausting that limit?

Simply start multiple programs you used, do your regular activity
inside and check how many open files you have, how many processes
running under your user or in system in general and so on and then
you will start to see if you really need to fiddle with some settings

By then and thanks
Manfred