Theo de Raadt wrote:
I will ask this honestly:

Why should we bleed our little hearts over a company who acted like
assholes towards us for years, and only changed their policy due to
public pressure?

To make ourselves feel better?  I think it is pointless.  They still
did not apologize.

I agree with Theo, and yet I agree with others who subscribe to the 'reward for good behaviour' line of thinking. I think the issue is one of perspective, and the scale for rating companies over at vendorwatch.org is too simple.

Obviously for the developers it is frustrating that they have to push and push and push for years with no results, only to blow up and cause a community outcry which finally gets the vendor to open up. In the meantime, Theo has been painted (again) as abrasive, whiny, thick-headed, and who knows what else by the larger Open Source community, thanks in large part to outlets like Slashdot which present a snapshot which completely fails to report the scope of this ongoing problem. And now that the docs are open again, there will be pressure on the OpenBSD team to fix the errors in the Hifn code - for a product which has been a source of frustration for quite a while. When one thinks about it one should be able to sympathize with the developers a little more than the companies which jerk them around.

For the users who jumped on the bandwagon less than four weeks ago it seems like a great victory. For the developers it's not so easy to set aside the hassle they've gone through and pound on that code. A primary motivation for the developers is, after all, to have fun working on code.

And still, if companies that do respond favourably after a public outcry continue to get badmouthed after the fact, there won't be much incentive for companies to open up in the future. We do need a way to recognize that something positive came about after putting up with a lengthy negative period.

What does 'Somewhat Friendly' mean, anyway? To turn the tables, if OpenBSD was rated on the same system, would it be 'Friendly', 'Somewhat Friendly', or 'Unfriendly'? And what relevance would that have? The developers may not be a bunch of hand holding saps, and could be rated as 'Hostile' on occasion, but that doesn't change the fact that OpenBSD is a kick ass system governed by some very strong goals and philosophies.

I think we need a more objective rating system. Here's a five point system which is more useful: 'Supplies Hardware', 'Donates Money', 'Supplies Docs Freely', 'Works Well With Developers', and 'Listens To Customers'. This is not necessarily the rating system we should use, but it seems to me to be a step in the right direction.

A major issue is ensuring that this process works with developers which working against them. Theo et al are busy working on OpenBSD and they don't likely want to spend all their time complaining about vendors on vendorwatch.org. However, their participation is necessary to ensure that vendorwatch.org meets its mandate.

Hopefully the process can be improved. We turned around Hifn in under four weeks (I expected it to take at least four months!) with a heated mailing list discussion and some poorly organized free press. Think of what we could do if we had a smoothly working process which put everyone on the same page!

Breeno