Eliah Kagan wrote:
That would still be most OpenBSD users, wouldn't it?

I honestly do not know as I do not have access to the size of the user base nor the financial needs of the project. If 5000 users gave $100 per year to the project that would be half a million dollars. Are there 5000 users? Is half a million per year more or less than the project earns now? Half a million seems like a lot, but it only represents 10 developers on a yearly salary of $50,000, and I personally feel that there are developers that are worth at least that much for a full time contribution. Do the paid developers currently take more or less salary to work full time on OpenBSD? How much of the yearly budget needs to go toward hardware purchases? Operating expenses? Does Revenue Canada get its dirty little fingers into this? There are too many unknown variables to answer this.

I feel that if the user base can meet the financial needs of the project then the user base is doing its part. Unfortunately, I know of several people who use OpenBSD that will never send in a flat penny. These are the same people that have 2TB of disk space on their main desktop, running a pirated copy of Windows XP, with 2000 CDs and DVDs of pirated music and movies sitting on their bookshelf. They feel that everything that isn't nailed down should be free.

As a non-developer, I feel that *whatever* I do (short of becoming a
developer), I am not giving back in kind for the high value that I
have received. Yet this makes me feel grateful (and somewhat humbled),
not ashamed.

While I can definitely relate to your feelings of gratefulness, OpenBSD isn't merely given away as a kindness to the user base. It needs to be open and free to meet the goals of the project. If it wasn't as open as it is then it wouldn't be as secure as it is.

And what is the shame in taking something for free and not
reciprocating when someone gives it to you for free and makes clear
that there are no strings attached and that they want it that way?

The shame enters the picture when you place expectations for additional output from the people giving freely. I see people griping all the time for this or that feature, or support for this or that hardware. I see this from people who contribute nothing and never will. People complain that certain hardware is not supported very well, but have they ever written even one email to the vendor demanding open documentation? These people should be ashamed, but of course they never will.

I agree with everything you say in principle, I'm just not convinced it is the best position to take on the matter. I wish people and companies who use OpenBSD would recognize the value they receive and contribute back accordingly to ensure that the project can continue on to bigger and brighter things.

But... wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which one fills up first.

Breeno