Oops, didn't not send to misc

On 1/9/07, bofh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/9/07, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been in no rush to build and install java, and in fact I've been
> dreading the idea for a couple months but since you're hitting
> problems, I decided to start on it after reading your post to see if I
> could help.

Thanx!

> In the handful of hours since my last reply, I've managed to download,
> build and install jdk 1.3 from ports and I've got 1.4 currently
> building while I type this. As you probably know, having a working JVM
> is a prerequisite for building 1.4 and 1.5. As soon as I get 1.4 built
> and installed, I'll start on 1.5

When I built 1.5 on openbsd 3.9-current, it didn't require building
1.3 and 1.4.  It didn't look like 4.0 needed it either.  In fact, on
amd64, it won't build jdk1.4

> Like OpenOffice, building java seems to use a a lot of swap. How large
> is your swap partition/slice?

From top:
Memory: Real: 9356K/405M act/tot  Free: 2585M  Swap: 0K/2000M used/tot

From dmesg:
real mem = 3219894272 (3144428K)
avail mem = 2757484544 (2692856K)
using 22937 buffers containing 322195456 bytes (314644K) of memory

so I should have plenty of ram for it to play with.

> My limits are (far) more  conservative than yours:
>
> $ ulimit -a
> time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
> file(blocks)         unlimited
> coredump(blocks)     unlimited
> data(kbytes)         524288
> stack(kbytes)        4096
> lockedmem(kbytes)    315906
> memory(kbytes)       946192
> nofiles(descriptors) 64
> processes            64
> $
>
> Lastly, as what user are you building the port?

root.

This is basically a brand new install of 4.0 on a amd64 box, and the
following commands:

% sudo ksh
# cd /usr/ports/devel/jdk/1.5
# make install
[get error, cuss, read Makefile, make ulimit adjustments, and]
# make install

Thanx!

Apropos of nothing - I found that openbsd 4.0 x86 will not install on
this box, the megaraid drivers didn't load properly.  Amd64 version of
4.0 loaded up fine however.