On Sunday 04 February 2007 12:50, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded cd40.iso from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots
> and installed openbsd on my laptop because I thought the kernel would be
> -current but when booting I tried bsd -c and then UKC> enable acpi but
> nothing happened, so that I went to the site and downloaded bsd and bsd.mp,
> copied them to / with the names bsd.acpi and bsd.mp.acpi

I have seen many warnings from the developers and other knowledgeable people
on this list to not mix the -current and snapshot, so may be that is your
problem.

> Then I rebooted (bsd.acpi -c and/or bsd.mp.acpi -c) and UKC said "385 acpi0
> enabled" and everything was looking fine (apart from the problem that I
> didn't get any dhcp offer?).
>
> I wait until it's up and then make sudo apmd -f /dev/acpi with the hope
> that I could get apm to work over acpi but when I type zzz or apm -S
> nothing happens...
>
> I know acpi is under development and I am not complaining at all. I just
> want to check out I did everything correctly or not. Do you see something
> wrong?

I find that ACPI and APM on OpenBSD works just like or probably better than it
does on other OS'es and distros, for my purposes. I am not very knowledgeable
about ACPI or APM but can provide you with what happens on my system (this is
just a desktop -- I am going to try this on my laptop as soon as I get a
chance). When I tried to do a boot -c, it did not work for me. Basically, the
keyboard would not function, so even though I got the UKC prompt, I could not
enter enable ACPI. So I did a config -ef /bsd from the root prompt, enabled
acpi and rebooted.

zzz and apm gave me the following . ..

$ zzz
Suspending system...
$
$ apm
Battery state: absent, 0% remaining, unknown life estimate
A/C adapter state: not known
Performance adjustment mode: manual (2412 MHz)

Here is part of my dmesg that had stuff about apm and acpi.

OpenBSD 4.0-current (GENERIC) #1351: Wed Jan 24 20:29:10 MST 2007
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ ("AuthenticAMD"
686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 2.42 GHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,CX16
real mem  = 3488051200 (3406300K)
avail mem = 3192864768 (3118032K)
using 4256 buffers containing 174526464 bytes (170436K) of memory
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 12/22/06, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf22f0,
SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xf0000 (76 entries)
bios0: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-SLI DELUXE
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
apm0: flags 70102 dobusy 1 doidle 1
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 3.0 @ 0xf0000/0xdc44
pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xfdb10/304 (17 entries)
pcibios0: bad IRQ table checksum
pcibios0: PCI BIOS has 17 Interrupt Routing table entries
pcibios0: PCI Exclusive IRQs: 5 10 11
pcibios0: no compatible PCI ICU found
pcibios0: Warning, unable to fix up PCI interrupt routing
pcibios0: PCI bus #7 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xec00 0xd0000/0x2800!
acpi0 at mainbus0: rev 2
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP HPET MCFG APIC
acpitimer at acpi0 not configured
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)