On 10/21/07, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Tony Sarendal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-21 14:50]:
> > > stateless is poop.
> > What will happen when the limit of maximum concurrent states is reached
> ?
> > Will it stop forwarding new flows ?
>
> depends on the way you write your ruleset.
> if you do nothing, exactly that happens.

An incoming packet is either dropped or not, I don't see how the router can
do nothing.

Besides that, the environment I am looking at is as an edge/peering router.
Basic filtering to protect infrastructure and where possible prevent
spoofing,
I do not consider such an environment a suitable place for a statelful
device
as they normally change behaviour when the limit of states is exceeded.

A router that has a major performance drop when a certain limit of flows is
reached is something I normally stay away from, a router that stops
forwarding of new flows when a flow limit is reached is worse.

That is my reasoning for using stateless filters in my case.
If OpenBSD/pf has a solution that solves these stateful limitations I would
be
very interested in understanding it.

/Tony