* Claudio Jeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-22 08:17]:
> Fragment Reassembly does not happen in the forwarding plane, it happens on
> the end system. By doing "flow" based forwarding on the router you're no
> longer able to do all the additional checks that pf(4) is doing in its
> stateful forwarding path.

and we don't actually need these on a non-edge router. I'd go so far
to say they hurt in that case.

> > There is probably a huge market out there for a commodity standards
> > based hardware (if it could be done)
> I doubt it, the necessary HW is just to expensive and complex.

I totlly agree with the statement that there is a hugfhe market for
that - but getting supported, fully working hardware at reasonable
prices for it is indeed a gigantic challenge.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de