On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 00:12 +0100, Tony Sarendal wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'll throw this out there since its been something on my mind for a
while:

Hardware VLAN tagging, TOE offload, IP/UDP/TCP Checksum offload,
interface polling are all ways to accelerate packet forwarding.  How
about a standards-based hardware-software API equivalent to Cisco's
"CEF" or "MLS"?

The basics:
 - layer 3 or layer 4 state ("flow") is identified and established using
   software IP-forwarding.
 - the software dynamically programs the switching hardware backplane
   ASIC to accelerate forwarding the "flow" w/o software further
   inspection (Including Fragment Reassembly, etc.)

There is probably a huge market out there for a commodity standards
based hardware (if it could be done)

~BAS