* Tony Sarendal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-21 17:22]:
> On 10/21/07, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > * Tony Sarendal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-21 14:50]:
> > > What will happen when the limit of maximum concurrent states is reached
> > ?
> > > Will it stop forwarding new flows ?
> >
> > depends on the way you write your ruleset.
> > if you do nothing, exactly that happens.
>

> An incoming packet is either dropped or not, I don't see how the router can
> do nothing.

you misunderstood; if you do nothing to prevent that situation what you
described happens.

> Besides that, the environment I am looking at is as an edge/peering router.
> Basic filtering to protect infrastructure and where possible prevent
> spoofing,
> I do not consider such an environment a suitable place for a statelful
> device
> as they normally change behaviour when the limit of states is exceeded.
>
> A router that has a major performance drop when a certain limit of flows is
> reached is something I normally stay away from, a router that stops
> forwarding of new flows when a flow limit is reached is worse.
>
> That is my reasoning for using stateless filters in my case.
> If OpenBSD/pf has a solution that solves these stateful limitations I would
> be
> very interested in understanding it.

well, you can go stateful up to a certain point and handle stuff above
stateless (better than dropping), like

pass out on X from $foo
pass in  on X to $foo
pass out on X from $foo keep state(max 10000)

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de