On Jan 18, 2008 4:28 PM, Ted Unangst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/18/08, Sunnz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From what I understand, if foo isn't the last hard link to the file,
> > and `rm foo` will NOT delete the file...
>
> what does it matter if somebody keeps a link to it?  if you have idiot
> users who insist on using broken software, you have bigger problems.
> what if they download the old version and compile it themselves?

I think he means sshd.  And it really doesn't matter, once you make install,
you'll overwrite the vulnerable copy with the new one, and all the hardlinks
won't matter, because they'd be linked to the new file.

If you're worried about someone writing a program that'll walk the entire
drive and find all the sectors that were in use, and attempt to string them
together - think about it for a while, is this truly a problem for you?  If
it is, either hire someone (or convince someone) to write a program to wipe
this out for you, or choose another OS where such a program exist.

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk