On Jan 19, 2008 1:27 PM, Ted Unangst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/18/08, bofh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think he means sshd.  And it really doesn't matter, once you make
> install,
> > you'll overwrite the vulnerable copy with the new one, and all the
> hardlinks
> > won't matter, because they'd be linked to the new file.
>
> except that they won't.  the point of a hard link is it points to the
> file, not the name.  it's not a symlink.

I don't get what you're talking about.  If you overwrite the file
(vulnerable sshd) with a new one, the file gets replaced.  All the hardlinks
would point to the new file.

$ uname -a
OpenBSD urd.spidernet.to 4.1 GENERIC#0 i386
$ echo apple > test
$ ln test test2
$ ls -l test*
-rw-r--r--  2 tai  wheel  6 Jan 19 19:43 test
-rw-r--r--  2 tai  wheel  6 Jan 19 19:43 test2
$ cat test test2
apple
apple
$ echo orange > test2