At 09:33 AM 2/8/2008 -0500, Jim Razmus wrote:
* L. V. Lammert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [080207 13:30]:
> At 04:43 PM 2/7/2008 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> You can absolutely run a mail server at home. This is not rocket science
>> and in fact, it is dumb easy to do. Try to follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Get a domain name and look for registrars that can host it for you. For
>> example, check this kind of services at www.no-ip.com.
>>
>> 2. Configure your ADSL router to re-direct SMTP and POP3 traffic to that
>> server of yours
>> running sendmail, spamd, mimedefang, clamd, spam-assassin, etc. You can
>> even incorporate
>> services like IMAP3 for you to  be able to log-in into your mail server
>> anywhere.
>
> Please stop spreading misinformation. Unless you have reverse DNS setup,
> ANY email server that adhering to standards should (and probably will)
> block your incoming email.
>
> If you want to run your own, that's great, but don't expect to use it
> reliably without either setting up the reverse DNS or forwarding through
> your ISPs email server(s). If you don't do that, you won't know be able to
> have any assurance that your email will be received properly.
>
>         Lee

I don't get your point Lee.  I agreed with you that reverse DNS is
necessary.  I then stated it is possible to get ISP's to support you
with this task.  Where's the "misinformation"?

Didn't mean to jump on you specifically, .. however your statement above (to which I was replying) *does* neglect to mention reverse DNS. In fact, "it is dumb easy to do" seems to give the impression that it's a trivial task, when it is not.

I'm just trying to make sure that anyone considering setting up their own email server realizes that without the proper [willing] ISP and DNS configuration an email server is just not ready for prime time (i.e. the probability that your email will get through vs. the work to configure the server). I can't count the number of times someone we deal with has tried to send email, gets it rejected, and we find out in the logs that they are using a mis-configured server. With the 'hazardous' environment right now regarding SPAM/UCE, it is just not a simple task to set up a mail server properly. To give the impression otherwise is slightly irresponsible, *especially* if someone gets the impression that the mail server itself is the most important part (a cooperating ISP is far more important than the box itself).

        Lee