synproxy in pf already makes sure the 3-way handshake completes before
the connection is completed on the other side; rate limiting can also be
done on the OpenBSD firewall, so it's not clear why you would need an
extra box there.

The bigger problem with DDoS attacks is that the upstream pipe is filled
up with traffic, and no matter how much technology you deploy at your
end of the pipe, it's still going to be full. Rate limiting and such
needs to be deployed further out, at your ISP, and possibly further
upstream.

Also, it would help if all ISP's implemented proper egress filtering to
prevent spoofing.