On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 02:56:53PM -0700, Ted Unangst wrote:

> >I think I want root to be able to mount/access the directories so that
> >the data can be included in a backup set (which is then piped through
> >openssl for encryption) on a file-by-file basis rather than just
> >backing
> >up a filesystem image and risking the whole thing if that image
> >becomes
> >corrupted.
>
> Most of your requests are pretty common and come up frequently enough
> you should be able to find the answers, but this part makes me
> wonder.   So how does root have the key?  Do you type it in everytime
> you do a backup or is there a file called "dontreadthis" in /root?

Lets say the key is in a file.  Lets encrypt that file with openssl and
keep it in /root.  Whoever runs the backup program is asked for the
passphrase to unlock the file.  The backup program then uses that file
to mount the directories to back them up.

> You could maybe do some tricks with cfs but it's a guaranteed shot in
> the foot.
>
> >Ideas?  What do others do to secure /home?
>
> I don't let people steal my computers.

Of course there's the risk/benefit/cost analysis.  Gun cabinets or safes
bolted to the floor work but are expensive.  I could get the same kind
of deterrence if I installed a big rack-mount 12U server full of a dozen
hard drives (think too heavy for one person to steal, assuming that they
recognized it as a computer in the first place).  Software encryption is
free.

Doug.