On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:38:16AM +0100, Guido Tschakert wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty schrieb:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:09:20PM -0500, patric conant wrote:
> >> I'm confused, the encrypted volume cannot be backed up without a key?
> >
> > Sure, I could backup the encrypted volume.  However, I'd rather back the
> > data up as an unencrypted directory along with everything else.
>
> And then someone steals your backup.

I pipe the backup through openssl anyway.

> Wouldn't it be more sophisticated, to secure the physical access (lock
> up the door, some security on the windows (the real one, not that crap
> from MS), if any) to the system and encrypt the backup (public-key comes
> to my mind). As mostly backup will be done on external media (DVD, CD,
> Tape, USB-Harddrives)

Physical access to the apartment is as secure as possible given the
lease (which is what is prompting this thread).

As for the backup media, the total size of the backup set is about 50 GB
and for off-site I want it to fit in the bank's small safety deposit box
(CDs don't fit) so I'm thinking about using LTO-1 (LTO's will fit and
LTO-1 is slow enough that a single IDE drive in a P-133 box should be
able to keep it fed).  This is a separate issue that I don't want to
confuse the thread with.