Douglas A. Tutty schrieb:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:09:20PM -0500, patric conant wrote:
>> I'm confused, the encrypted volume cannot be backed up without a key?
>
> Sure, I could backup the encrypted volume.  However, I'd rather back the
> data up as an unencrypted directory along with everything else.

And then someone steals your backup.

Wouldn't it be more sophisticated, to secure the physical access (lock
up the door, some security on the windows (the real one, not that crap
from MS), if any) to the system and encrypt the backup (public-key comes
to my mind). As mostly backup will be done on external media (DVD, CD,
Tape, USB-Harddrives)

It always depends on how paranoid you are (and as I remember you are
more paranoid then the average ;-) ), how secret your data is.

guido

--

Mit freundlichen Gr|_en,

  Guido Tschakert

SRC Security Research & Consulting GmbH
Graurheindorfer Str. 149 a      Tel: +49-228-2806-138
53117 Bonn                      Fax: +49-228-2806-199
http://www.src-gmbh.de          Mob: +49-160-3671422
Handelsregister Bonn: HRB 9414  Geschdftsf|hrer: Gerd Cimiotti