On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:50:13AM +0100, Alexander Hall spoke thusly:
> Denny White wrote:
>> I've always tried to do a fresh install any time possible,
>> and then copy all my backed up /home and /data stuff back
>> to the new installed system. I'm just trying to figure out
>> if there's a way to keep those 2 slices intact while wiping
>> out and recreating everything else, i.e., /usr, /var, & /tmp.
>> I rebooted on the new 4.4 install cd and tried to see if there
>> was a different way to go about things but couldn't figure it
>> out there. I read up on disklabel & fdisk & googled around for
>> a couple of days before asking the list. So, if someone knows
>> where I can find some info on it, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Something like replying "no" to "Do you want to use the entire disk for
> openbsd" could be a good start. I believe that would keep the existing
> partitions, and you could map them to their respective mount mounts again.
> I think, however, that you need to _not_ specify mount points for the file
> systems you want to preserve to prevent them from being newfs'd.
>
> Since I seldom, if ever, do that kind of "fresh reinstalls", you'd better
> compare the above with install.sh et al. In any way i think it should be
> possible, but pretty please do make those backups before anyway. :-)
>
> /Alexander

Thanks, Alexander. I'll give it a shot. I just did a dump on everything
to a separate drive. Also rsync my homedir to that drive nightly. Worse
case is, I screw it up & just copy everything back like before. ;)

--

Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A