On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:04:31AM -0500, Nick Holland spoke thusly:
> Denny White wrote:
> > I've always tried to do a fresh install any time possible,
> > and then copy all my backed up /home and /data stuff back
> > to the new installed system. I'm just trying to figure out
> > if there's a way to keep those 2 slices intact while wiping
> > out and recreating everything else, i.e., /usr, /var, & /tmp.
> > I rebooted on the new 4.4 install cd and tried to see if there
> > was a different way to go about things but couldn't figure it
> > out there. I read up on disklabel & fdisk & googled around for
> > a couple of days before asking the list. So, if someone knows
> > where I can find some info on it, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Just don't define mount points for the partitions you wish to
> keep, and they won't be newfs'd (i.e., existing data will be
> preserved).
>
> AFTER the install, you will go in and edit /etc/fstab and add
> your "saved" partitions.  Ta-da! your data is back.
>
> Have a backup anyway, of course.  Sucks to fat-finger something
> in the process...
>
> Nick.

Thanks, Nick. Yeah, that's what some other replies said. And, like
I said too in my answer, everything's just been dumped & homedir
rsynced, so I'm going to give it a try. And yes, fat fingers suck.
I know from experience. ;) Thanks for the help.

Good case in point. Forgot cc [EMAIL PROTECTED] What a dweeb! ;) Fat fingers
rule!

--

Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A