> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:14:46 -0600
> > Von: Denny White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > An: OpenBSD Questions <misc@openbsd.org>
> > Betreff: Fresh install question
>
> > I've always tried to do a fresh install any time possible,
> > and then copy all my backed up /home and /data stuff back
> > to the new installed system. I'm just trying to figure out
> > if there's a way to keep those 2 slices intact while wiping
> > out and recreating everything else, i.e., /usr, /var, & /tmp.
> > I rebooted on the new 4.4 install cd and tried to see if there
> > was a different way to go about things but couldn't figure it
> > out there. I read up on disklabel & fdisk & googled around for
> > a couple of days before asking the list. So, if someone knows
> > where I can find some info on it, I'd really appreciate it.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Denny White
>
> --
> Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
> Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 03:34:47PM +0100, Jorge Valbuena spoke thusly:
> One simple thing that i will try is:
>
> If is already installed OpenBSD 4.2 and  wants to install 4.3 or 4.4 , first
> take a look at the /etc/fstab file and write down the name of the /home
> partition
>
> /dev/wd0h /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>

> When installing the new version leave untouched that partition,  and after
> first boot put the line manually in your new /etc/fstab
>
> I hope this can help !
>
> Jorge

Yep, that's been the general consensus in the other replies. Thanks
for the help, Jorge. Along with just having dumped everything and
rsynced my homedir, I also have fstab & quite a few other etc files
saved separately on my 2nd backup drive. Now all I have to do is try
to avoid 'fat fingers' as Nick advised. ;)

--

Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A