On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 06:58:22AM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam spoke thusly:
> On 15:34:47 Nov 17, Jorge Valbuena wrote:
> > One simple thing that i will try is:
> >
> > If is already installed OpenBSD 4.2 and  wants to install 4.3 or 4.4 ,
> > first take a look at the /etc/fstab file and write down the name of the
> > /home partition
> >
> > /dev/wd0h /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> >

> > When installing the new version leave untouched that partition,  and after
> > first boot put the line manually in your new /etc/fstab
> >
> > I hope this can help !
> >

> It also helps to note down the starting and ending cylinders of the
> partition you want to preserve.
>
> You can think of the OpenBSD fdisk partition as one big contiguous block
> of sectors. Irrespective of its physical location, it is one single
> unidimensional series of sectors. Each sector is exactly 512 bytes.
>
> OpenBSD fdisk and disklabel unlike the ones found in other OSes always
> tell us the cylinder boundaries.
>
> This has helped me think a bit more clearly.
>
> -Girish

Thanks, Girish. Believe it or not, I actually thought to do that.
I know, miracles never cease. But thanks for reminding me. You
know from off list correspondence about how much my memory banks
will hold (or won't). ;)

--

Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A