2010/3/6 Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de>:
> of course there are (many) working bgpd + carp setups.
>
> * ???? ??????? <chipits...@gmail.com> [2010-03-06 15:14]:
>> second router learns routes from carp master (since it has no direct
>> connection while it is BACKUP), but I only see routes using "bgpctl
>> show rib", not using "netstat -rn". also, there's seems to be loop,
>> because I see many "icmp dup"  while pinging some system. also, when
>> BAACKUP becomes MASTER, it drops all the rib and learnes routes from
>> uplink.which is very bad.
>
> the preferred setup is to have one bgp session per carp host to your
> upstream, i. e. you had two, and use carp on the inner interface.

is it possible to have carp on both inner and upstream interfaces ?
any example configs for that ?

> what you are seeing is kinda expected, the routes are invalid from the
> backup host's POV since it does not have a valid route to the nexthop
> (this is half guessed since you didn't provide any details)

there are static routes to BGP speakers

# cat /etc/hostname.carp4
vhid 2 pass xxxx carpdev vlan4 advskew 200 x.x.x.x/29
!/sbin/route add N.N.N.N1/32 x.x.x.x
!/sbin/route add N.N.N.N2/32 x.x.x.x

well, carp4 is down while the second router is in BACKUP state (and
thus I see routes in RIB, but not in FIB ?)
I'd expect those routes move to FIB as second router becomes MASTER