On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 17:26, PP;QQ P(P8P?P8QP8P= <chipits...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> no, I want routes exactly to carp.

That sounds odd. Routes are something different than what particular
host responds to frames directed to a specific hardware address.

If I understand the rest of your description correctly, you want only
the master bgpd to have sessions and to somehow distribute its routes
to the backup(s), with the backups starting with that 'state' and
initiate connections to your BGP peers whenever a master goes down. I
doubt that'll work.

In your scenario, if your master goes down, there are no longer any
BGP sessions up with any of your peers. If I'm not mistaken, that will
cause them to withdraw the prefixes you previously advertised from
their tables and no longer forward traffic to you.

When your new master is promoted, it will set up a new session with
your peers. This is probably not the sort of failover you want to see
happening in production.

I suspect that's just one reason why Henning and Claudio made their
suggestions. The N sessions for N CARP members allows for your remote
peers to maintain a path back towards you and for you to have a
working path out. It is very likely the path of least pain and anguish
with smooth failover. Unless of course static routing were an option.
While not sexy, it's simple (fewer moving parts) and still allows you
to use CARP.

Regards,

Rogier