Both files are looking good/same as before and local delivery with sendmail
does not work:

ga...@server.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 mail.server.com ESMTP OpenSMTPD
EHLO mail.server.com
250-mail.server.com Hello mail.server.com [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-SIZE 36700160
250-DSN
250 HELP
MAIL From:<g...@mail.server.com> SIZE=108
250 2.0.0: Ok
RCPT To:<us...@server.com>
550 Invalid recipient

Hm... You said it stopped working after you restarted smtpd.
Maybe it runs of a wrong config file?

I once accidentally typed "smtpd" in the middle of changing the configuration. Which started a daemonized smtpd with an unfinished config. No matter how often I changed the smtpd.conf and typed "rcctl restart smtpd" the wrong config persisted :-) It toke me about two hours until I realised smtpd was still running after "rcctl stop smtpd".