Which leads to the question: Does user1 exist?

But I do not understand why osmtpd is looking at the /etc/passwd file when I have always used my table files (defined in smtp.conf) with a working environment,

My understanding is, according to the configuration you presented, that it has to lookup /etc/passwd. (I'm only unsure about the role of rcpt-to in this.)

https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/table#Aliasing_tables
"Aliasing tables are mappings that associate a recipient to one or many destinations.
accept for domain example.org virtual <myaliases> deliver to mbox
In a virtual domain context, the key is either a user part, a full email address or a catch all ... and the value is one or many recipients as described in aliases(5):"

https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/aliases.5
"...The file consists of key/value mappings of the form:

key: value1, value2, value3, ...
...The key is expanded to the corresponding values, which consist of one or more of the following:

user
A user on the host machine. The user must have a valid entry in the passwd(5) database file. ..."

> and user1 has never been a system user.

What is user1 then? A virtual Dovecot user?
Can you maybe post your virtuals?

You could experiment with the "as user" parameter.
https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/smtpd.conf.5#deliver_to_lmtp

P.S.
Like in your first message you again wrote "smtp.conf". I'm sure you meant "smtpd.conf", right?