On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:58 AM, Gabriele Tofano <gabriele.tof...@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> But I do not understand why osmtpd is looking at the /etc/passwd file when
>>> I have always used my table files (defined in smtp.conf) with a working
>>> environment,
>>
>> My understanding is, according to the configuration you presented, that it
>> has to lookup /etc/passwd. (I'm only unsure about the role of rcpt-to in
>> this.)
>>
>> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/table#Aliasing_tables
>> "Aliasing tables are mappings that associate a recipient to one or many
>> destinations.
>> accept for domain example.org virtual <myaliases> deliver to mbox
>> In a virtual domain context, the key is either a user part, a full email
>> address or a catch all ... and the value is one or many recipients as
>> described in aliases(5):"
>>
>> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/aliases.5
>> "...The file consists of key/value mappings of the form:
>>
>> key: value1, value2, value3, ...
>> ...The key is expanded to the corresponding values, which consist of one or
>> more of the following:
>>
>> user
>> A user on the host machine. The user must have a valid entry in the
>> passwd(5) database file. ..."
>>

>>> and user1 has never been a system user.
>>
>> What is user1 then? A virtual Dovecot user?
>
> User1 is listed in the /usr/local/etc/mail/passwd file for smtpd
> authentication and in /usr/local/etc/mail/aliases and
> /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals for local user mapping and standard mailbox
> redirect.
>
> Dovecot is looking at /usr/local/etc/mail/passwd for its virtual users.
>
> I never had user1 and user2 as a system users and smtpd has always worked
> correctly on my production and lab servers.
>
>> Can you maybe post your virtuals?
>
> Here my /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals:
>
> ab...@domain.com                      us...@domain.com
> postmas...@domain.com         us...@domain.com
> webmas...@domain.com          us...@domain.com
>

> And here my /usr/local/etc/aliases:
>
> vmail:                /dev/null
>
> root:                 user1
> user1:                us...@domain.com
>

>> You could experiment with the "as user" parameter.
>> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/smtpd.conf.5#deliver_to_lmtp
>>
>> P.S.
>> Like in your first message you again wrote "smtp.conf". I'm sure you meant
>> "smtpd.conf", right?
>
> That was an autocorrect and I confirm my config file is named smtpd.conf.
>

>> --
>> You received this mail because you are subscribed to misc@opensmtpd.org
>>

> --
> You received this mail because you are subscribed to misc@opensmtpd.org

I found the issue. The original /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals file was the
following:

ab...@domain.com                        us...@domain.com
postmas...@domain.com           us...@domain.com
webmas...@domain.com            us...@domain.com
us...@domain.com                        vmail
us...@domain.com                        vmail

Basically all the virtual users were mapped to the system vmail user which is
in charge of handling deliveries, and for some reasons they were not listed in
the file anymore. Adding them has resolved the issue and users are able to
receive email again. I am going to investigate why those mappings were not
present anymore but I would like to thank all of you for the precious support
and time dedicated to help me out on this!

PS. It is not good when your mail server stop working on your wedding week :)