On Mar 19, 2019, at 12:16 AM, Thomas Bohl <opensmtpd-misc-64...@aloof.de> wrote:

>>> Which leads to the question: Does user1 exist?
>>>
>> But I do not understand why osmtpd is looking at the /etc/passwd file when I
>> have always used my table files (defined in smtp.conf) with a working
>> environment,
>
> My understanding is, according to the configuration you presented, that it
> has to lookup /etc/passwd. (I'm only unsure about the role of rcpt-to in
> this.)
>
> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/table#Aliasing_tables
> "Aliasing tables are mappings that associate a recipient to one or many
> destinations.
> accept for domain example.org virtual <myaliases> deliver to mbox
> In a virtual domain context, the key is either a user part, a full email
> address or a catch all ... and the value is one or many recipients as
> described in aliases(5):"
>
> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/aliases.5
> "...The file consists of key/value mappings of the form:
>
> key: value1, value2, value3, ...
> ...The key is expanded to the corresponding values, which consist of one or
> more of the following:
>
> user
> A user on the host machine. The user must have a valid entry in the passwd(5)
> database file. ..."
>

> > and user1 has never been a system user.
>
> What is user1 then? A virtual Dovecot user?

User1 is listed in the /usr/local/etc/mail/passwd file for smtpd authentication
and in /usr/local/etc/mail/aliases and /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals for local
user mapping and standard mailbox redirect.

Dovecot is looking at /usr/local/etc/mail/passwd for its virtual users.

I never had user1 and user2 as a system users and smtpd has always worked
correctly on my production and lab servers.

> Can you maybe post your virtuals?

Here my /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals:

ab...@domain.com                        us...@domain.com
postmas...@domain.com           us...@domain.com
webmas...@domain.com            us...@domain.com

And here my /usr/local/etc/aliases:

vmail:          /dev/null

root:                   user1
user1:          us...@domain.com

> You could experiment with the "as user" parameter.
> https://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.3/smtpd.conf.5#deliver_to_lmtp
>
> P.S.
> Like in your first message you again wrote "smtp.conf". I'm sure you meant
> "smtpd.conf", right?

That was an autocorrect and I confirm my config file is named smtpd.conf.