January 25, 2020 8:50 PM, "Edgar Pettijohn" <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen any mention of this, but for some reason in my limited
> "testing" of filters I have
> to use \r\n in my responses to smtpd. Is this normal? Doesn't seem to be
> documented and what
> filters I've looked at don't appear to be using \r\n.

Indeed, you must certainly NOT use "\r\n" in filters.

> For example without ORS = "\r\n" the following script will cause smtpd to
> basically just hang.
> There is no errors reported, but when I attempt to telnet localhost 25 the
> daemon doesn't greet me.
> After adding ORS = "\r\n" everything works as expected.

I'm not familiar with awk beyond very basic uses, could this be due to some
flushing not happening by default and which gets triggere with "\r\n" ?

This is another awk filter which doesn't use ORS:

https://github.com/jirutka/opensmtpd-filter-rewrite-from/blob/master/filter-rewrite-from

so I'm not sure why yours block but the solution is not with "\r\n" for sure