On 01/25/20 14:20, gil...@poolp.org wrote:
January 25, 2020 8:50 PM, "Edgar Pettijohn" <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:

I haven't seen any mention of this, but for some reason in my limited "testing"
of filters I have
to use \r\n in my responses to smtpd. Is this normal? Doesn't seem to be
documented and what
filters I've looked at don't appear to be using \r\n.

Indeed, you must certainly NOT use "\r\n" in filters.

For example without ORS = "\r\n" the following script will cause smtpd to
basically just hang.
There is no errors reported, but when I attempt to telnet localhost 25 the
daemon doesn't greet me.
After adding ORS = "\r\n" everything works as expected.

I'm not familiar with awk beyond very basic uses, could this be due to some
flushing not happening by default and which gets triggere with "\r\n" ?

This is another awk filter which doesn't use ORS:

https://github.com/jirutka/opensmtpd-filter-rewrite-from/blob/master/filter-rewrite-from

so I'm not sure why yours block but the solution is not with "\r\n" for sure
I get the same with filter-rewrite-from.