At this point we've reached the end of the road for how flexible
LateNight can be.  It's fairly flexible already, and every bit of
flexibility I try to add beyond that is causing ripple effects for other
layouts.  So for now, if you want to experiment with other options, I'd
suggest you fork the skin and try moving the pieces around.  It might be
fun to resurrect LateNight-wide (which may still be in the
developer_skins repo) and see if it can be made to behave better.