On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Cameron Kerr wrote:

> Hi all. I'm creating my first SVCD (30 minutes). After mpeg2enc (I'm
> following the steps in the HOWTO), I preview it with mplayer, and it
> shows up as a strange aspect, taller than it ought to be, and and with
> thick black side borders. Also, the image isn't terribly great on the
> bottom (colour out of whack, a bit, ahhh, streaky???).

Hard to comment on that unless you give more details on the input source,
command line used etc..

> Is this normal for a SVCD (captured using PAL, if it matters).

No

> I've yet to burn it (I'll need to go to a friends place to test it on
> his DVD player (plays SVCD also)).

I wouldn't burn it if mplayer cant play it correctly..

> Also, is it normal for a 30 minute recoding to take about 12 hours for
> mpeg2enc to process?

Depends on the hardware and whether you are denoising or not.. On
an Athlon 1800 with 512MB RAM I get about 11fps for mpeg2enc: ie about 85
minutes encoding time for a 30minute movie. Add to that the time to
decode, scale and possibly denoise the input avi, it may take anywhere
from 2 to 4  hours.

Selva