Matthew, I see this also with the 20 somethings buying the Mk2s.  Love to pull
up next to the Bimmers & Porsches in my ‘85 Golf and see them looking down at
my not so pretty Golf. I learned years ago not to give a S**T about what other
people think about the vehicle I drive. Then the 20 somethings and teenagers
see my Golf and can’t believe it looks so good for a 31 year old VW.

In my area Mk3s are not popular for the reasons you stated. In simpler terms
most of them are pieces of S**t around here. The local, family owned VW Sales &
Service place sees 2 or 3 Mk3 Jettas in their shop EVERY WEEK that have to have
rusted out sections of their floor boards patched. This seems to happen almost
exclusively to the Jetta model for some reason. Funny how the Mk2s & 4s don’t
have that problem.

On the subject of value, I too have seen the value of Mk2s and Mk1s rising
quite significantly in recent years. I do however tend to take the value
numbers from companies like Haggerty Insurance (on their valuation web site)
with a grain of salt especially since they are not very welcoming when it comes
to insuring newer Antique Vehicles. I tend to believe the value increases more
so from the Antique Insurance companies I have used over the years to insure my
VWs.

FYI,  I will be at the Antique Car Show in Hershey, PA with my GTI 16V on
Saturday October 8th in case you or other 16V Listers might be in the area that
day.
My VDub will be in the HPOF Section (Historical Preservation of Original
Features). Cars start rolling onto the show field at 7 AM and the show usually
goes to 3 PM.
With about 1,400 vehicles of all makes and models (including commercial
vehicles) from around 1900 to 1991 there is a lot to see. There is no spectator
admission for the show although they do charge for parking.

BTW, Matthew, sorry I did not get to see you a few weeks ago at the York, PA VW
Event. It was nice talking with your racing buddies and THANKS for the VW Parts
I bought from you. Small World.

Charlie