Hi Mike

I could take out that bit of code, which is just determining how
much physical memory is installed, so that mkgmap won't suggest that the
user increases the available heap too much. It isn't used in determining a
value for maxjobs.

Since it is just used for an informational message, you could just
surround it with a try/catch block.  Then if it doesn't
exist on a particular it isn't a problem when using the
downloaded pre-compiled distribution.

Of course it would fail to compile on such a platform, but then
hopefully someone will let us know and we can decide what to do then.

Steve