Home server is slowly dying.  CMOS battery died, has trouble booting (though I
always manage to get it to boot because I have two independent ways to do it),
USB
died, and so forth.

I am in process of replacing it.

I need file server and network front end.  At present they are the same
machine,
but that is not at all necessary.

The replacements I have seen use intel hardware, and will also function as
high-powered compute engines (8 cores, etc., and I have uses in mind for all
those
cores)

But I'd rather not have intel hardware facing the net, given known and
potential
vulnerabilities in the management engine.

Rumour has it that AMD has something similar, though I don't know the details
and
havent heard of any actual attacks -- yet.

So I've been wondering about ARM machines.  Perhaps as network front ends, with
the
intel-based file server and compute enging behind the firewall.

Haven't seen anything relevant for a file server.  Anyone know of one?
(I've seen an ARM file linux-based file server, but its physical dimensions are
for
hard drives a lot smaller than the ones I'm now using)

But I suspect there may sell be machines that will serve as internet front
ends.
As firewalls, mail forwarders and low-powered web servers (mostly static files).

I'd want them to have at least two ethernet ports, one to the world and one to
the
lan.  I'd like to be able to install a Linux distro of my choice and configure
it
as I choose.  Ideally it could boot from USB so I coud easily reinstall or
replace
the entire bootable system in case of corruption (which I hope won't happen, of
course)

Anyone know of suotable hardware?

-- hendrik

P.S.  I do not have the tools or skill to solder, so many potential kits are
beyond
my reach.  I have soldered in that past, and it was a mess, with cold solder
joints
and solder dripping where it doesn't belong and so forth.  I'm not prepared to
ruin
expensive equipmeent this way.