On 2017-06-04 04:58 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On 2017-06-02 10:55 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 10:16:17PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Home server is slowly dying.  CMOS battery died, has trouble booting
(though I  always manage to get it to boot because I have two
independent ways to do it), USB  died, and so forth.

I am in process of replacing it.
I would suggest things, but if you care so much about security you will
throw out the two reigning platforms you are not left with much choice.
I'm noticing this.  A can't say that the security concerns are
absolute, but it goes against the grain to set up systems with known,
unavoidable vulnerabilities.

But it also goes against the grain to spend ridiculous amounts of time
or treasure to make the thing invulnerable.
This. Build a good system and protect the front of it, or make it non-web-accessible completely except for SSH/VPN through a strong gateway.

I love security, but I also have to think to myself "am I a target"? That being said I probably already put too much thought into security for a system that in a few years will be changed anyways.

Jer