I would consider mine a small setup on an internal network and I have used
both Sybase and SQL Server. In our case the DBA's preferred us to remain
connected rather than make too many connections - we need DB access in
bursts - it could be quiet for more than an hour and then suddenly we might
need hundreds of connections within few minutes (if we didnt cache it).
Another thing was we were connecting from forked processes so at some point
everything gets reaped including the connections. Our style of coding has
been to connect to the DB wherever we actually need to fire one or more
SQLs and do connect_cached in the actual implementation (it is a separate
library since we had to place a wrapper to acquire credentials)