As a long time Oracle DBA and perl mangler I have refrained from joining this conversation until now.

Connection caching is a configuration option in DBI, not a coding requirement. For web servers it is a single line edit in startup.pl
import DBICache versus import DBI if I recall incorrectly.
NO CODE CHANGES REQUIRED

Now caching connections will require clean code. Code that was acceptable on a short term connection causes problems on long term connections. Cursors left open, virtual connections not closed, etc
are non-issues using DBI but huge problems with DBICache

Applications doing heavy sql or batch work should not use DBICache. Just from an administrative perspective. Session less applications like web servers SHALL use it. And I use the legal meaning for shall

I don't care what database is on the end of a DBI connection, I mangle em all, poorly

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited