* Sasa STUPAR ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Ok, I have found the problem. If you want to have files in the same
> directories as original instalation of RH8 you have to use "./config
> --prefix=/usr". Sorry for that confusion. It is the distribution which
> is strange.

Phew, I was starting to wonder what I was missing here :-) As I
mentioned originally, using "/usr/include" as an installation prefix
doesn't make sense because it will create the standard {include,bin,man}
tree beneath that and install. Hence "/usr" or "/usr/local" make more
sense. Also, especially on package management systems like RH, you're
better not to simply install *over* existing files, particularly as a
newer version of openssl may have removed headers that were in a
previous version, so the old ones will end up mixed up with the new
ones. And of course if a bug-fix release is made by RH to the older
version, eg. 0.9.6x, that could seriously screw things up if you'd
installed 0.9.7 over the top. It could also totally mangle your system's
RPM database, and various other carnage is possible.

The solution is to either grapple with RH's dependencies to try and
build a replacement openssl RPM from source to upgrade to (which many
will tell you is an only slightly less difficult problem than the
alchemy of gold itself) or to install openssl elsewhere and make sure
your system paths are organised appropriately. Eg. you could use
/usr/local or /opt as a place to manually install packages such as a
newer openssl, and make sure that the bin subdirectory is earlier in
PATH than /usr/bin, ditto for the lib subdirectory in /etc/ld.so.conf,
the man subdirectory in /etc/man.config, and so on ...

BTW: You should check your /usr/include tree that there aren't bits and
pieces of openssl cruft in there left over from your previous efforts -
eg. your previous installation attempts probably created weird
directories like /usr/include/bin, /usr/include/include, etc.

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe