* Terrence Brannon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [040129 00:09]:
> Mark Overmeer wrote:
>
> >Mail::Box was designed to start with EVERYTHING which the RFCs specify,
> >and ALL uses I know with e-mail.  A very high level library.  And that's
> >quite a lot... And therefore suffers all the same problems as other
> >large modules (like Tk) have: they are hard to understand when you start
> >with them.
>
> - are you happy that you chose to implement Mail::Box in Perl? Was it a
> clear favorite in terms of language choice?

Yes.  The power of Perl make such a project doable for someone on his/her
own... it wouldn't be possible to achieve the same in C or Java in such
a short time.

IMO, hardware is cheaper than development time.  Performance is usually
not the problem.

> - was vanilla Perl-OO enough for you? did you consider a prototype-based
> or role-based  or delegation-based approach to implementing Mail::Box.

I'm not so much into OO terminolgy, but found a nice story on
  http://www.caddr.com/macho/archives/iolanguage/2003-12/1283.html
which states: "Often people use the misnomer 'prototype-based
inheritance' when they really mean delegation-based inheritance"
The article explains class-based, delegation-based, role-based, and
the Reflective Model.

I've done Prolog (role based) a very long time ago, but am more
naturally attracted to the class module. Java makes the world too
obfuscated, IMO, where Perl uses a much simpler syntax.  Of course,
without any protections...

> - I am very pleased that such a complete package is available for free.

Thanks

> - it seems that instead of volunteers to ease the burden of your API
> usage/docs, people are trying to pull the rug out from under you by
> populating the Email::* hierarchy... oh well.

I am not against different implementations: it all have their own
use.  As long as implementations follow the standards within the
limits of their application.
--
               MarkOv

drs Mark A.C.J. Overmeer                                MARKOV Solutions
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]