On Fri, September 25, 2020 4:12 pm, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 25/09/2020 19:59, Dan Book wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:20 PM BC <bill.co...@alumni.unh.edu
>> <mailto:bill.co...@alumni.unh.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     Let's say I wanted to submit a module named:
>>
>>           Class::Error::Foobar
>>
>>     Would this be considered bad form if my "Foobar" module is not
>> related
>>     to the existing Class::Error module in any way?  In other words,
>>     Foobar does not depend on, extend, nor reference the Class::Error
>>     module other than perhaps a courtesy "See Also" mention.
>>
>> It is not necessarily bad form, but if there is an existing
>> "Class::Error" ecosystem you might consider asking the author first in
>> case they wanted to use that sub-namespace. That does not really seem to
>> be the case here.
>
> I'd say that you should ask no matter what, and should also consider
> using something like Foobar::Error instead. Partly to avoid trampling on
> someone else's namespace, but also because using C::E::Foobar might give
> your users some incorrect expectations if they are already using
> Class::Error elsewhere.
>
> --
> David Cantrell

I'm of two minds. If the top and second level is large enough then it's
possible that the "ecosystem" has escaped the menagerie and it not really
under the top-and-second namespace author's control. Likewise, if the
author is clearly limiting their module to one purpose, then I don't
believe this is an issue.

But that's making assumptions that I don't know are true about your case.
If neither one is true, then yes, contact the author.

Disclosure of bias on my part: I am the author of Math::Polynomial::Solve,
and the then-author of Math::Polynomial was clearly an example of the
second case.

     --john